- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), warmed to about 105-115°|
|Rapid rise yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Rye flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Warmed To About 125°)|
|Flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3677 Calories from Fat 259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5910.3 mg246.3%
Total Carbohydrates 759 g252.9%
Dietary Fiber 60.3 g241.3%
Sugars 105.1 g
Protein 98 g196.5%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 5.3%
Calcium 53.6% Iron 276.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a bowl of 1/4 cup of warm water, add in the yeast. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes to soften.
2) Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray two 9x5x2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
3) In a large bowl, add rye flour, molasses, brown sugar, salt, caraway seeds and oil.
4) Pour in 2 cups of warm water. Mix well.
5) Next, add in the yeast and 3 cups of flour to begin with. Slowly, increase the quantity of flour as you go on kneading the mixture into a soft dough.
6) Continue to knead the dough for about 10 minutes on a floured surface.
7) Cover the dough and let it rest for about 1 hour.
8) After about an hour the dough would have risen to double its size. Beat the doughwith your bare hands to bring it down.
9) Divide the dough into two equal halves.
10) Shape each half of the dough into loaves of bread and transfer to the two loaf pans.
11) When the loaves rise to about double the size again, bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
12) If the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, it is done.
13) Serve slices of the Swedish Rye Bread with curried gravy or stew.