- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Orange peel||3 Tablespoon, freshly grated|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Rye flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Plus More For Kneading)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2670 Calories from Fat 347
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.8%
Saturated Fat 17 g85.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg
Sodium 76.2 mg3.2%
Total Carbohydrates 520 g173.2%
Dietary Fiber 88.8 g355.2%
Sugars 40.4 g
Protein 86 g171.6%
Vitamin A 20.8% Vitamin C 112.7%
Calcium 67.4% Iron 242.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the lukewarm water and yeast. Keep aside to double in bulk. This happens within a few minutes.
2) To the yeast mixture, add the molasses, fructose, orange peel, fennel seeds and caraway seeds.
3) Gradually add the rye flour and butter or margarine. Mix well.
4) Now, gradually add the all-purpose flour, working it in as you add.
5) Add the last of the flour into the dough on a lightly floured board.
6) Knead the dough until well mixed. Keep it back in the bowl.
7) With a lightly dampened tea towel, cover the bowl. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, for about 1 1/2 hours.
8) With your hands, punch down the dough.
9) On a lightly floured board, knead it until smooth and elastic.
10) Keep the dough back in the bowl, cover in the same way and let rise to double in bulk, for about 30 minutes.
11) Now, punch down again.
12) On a floured board, knead lightly and divide into 2 equal parts.
13) Make each half into a loaf shape.
14) In greased and floured 9X5X3-inch loaf pans, place the loaves.
15) With a lightly dampened cloth, cover and let rise again to almost double in bulk, for 30 minutes.
16) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
17) Bake the loaves in the oven for 30 minutes, or until they turn rich brown. They should sound hollow when tapped.
18) From the oven, remove the loaves.
19) Place on their sides for 5 minutes.
20) Turn out on a rack and let cool to room temperature. It is easier to slice when the loaves are cooled.
21) Slice and serve as desired.
To serve the bread hot, cool it first, slice it, butter it if desired, wrap it in foil and then reheat in the oven, before serving.