- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Swedish Apple Meringue Cake Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Natural almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), roasted and finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Egg white||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Granny smith apples||3 Pound, peeled and cored (about 6 medium sized ones)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Egg whites||3 Large (at room temperature)|
|Seedless raspberry jam||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.3%
Saturated Fat 11 g55.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 132.9 mg
Sodium 99 mg4.1%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.1 g40.4%
Sugars 34.5 g
Protein 8 g16.3%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) In a cup, beat a egg white using a beater.
3) In small bowl, beat butter, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, until smooth using electric hand blender.
4) Fold in 1 1/4 cups flour, almonds, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice and the peel.
5) Line the bottom and sides of 9-inch fluted cake pan with crust mixture.
6) Brush bottom of crust with a little egg white.
7) Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or till golden-brown.
8) Allow to cool on wire rack, raise the oven temperature to 400F.
9) Cut each apple into 12 wedges.
10) In a bowl, mix the apple wedges with lemon juice,1/3 cup sugar and the flour until evenly coated.
11) In large non-stick pan, simmer and cook apple mixture until gently stirring, until glaze coat the apple for 4 minutes.
12) Put the lid on, simmer and cook for 3 minutes longer.
13) In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and salt together until soft peaks form, using an electric hand blender.
14) Slowly stir in the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time; beating continuously until stiff peaks form.
15) Smear the jam over the crust, top with apple and cover the apples with meringue sealing at the edges of the crust and swirling top artistically.
16) Bake the crust in the oven for 5 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned.
17) Allow the cake to cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
18) Take out the side of pan, leaving cake on pan bottom.
19) Slice in wedges and serve.