- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Supper Potato Soup Recipe
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Potatoes||6 Large, pared and quartered|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 510 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.8%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.2 mg
Sodium 454.7 mg18.9%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g43%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 16 g32.4%
Vitamin A 66.5% Vitamin C 140.7%
Calcium 28.6% Iron 36%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the leeks by cutting the coarse tops and root ends.
2. Then finely chop the green ends to make 1/4 cup and keep aside.
3. Take the remaining leeks and chop them coarsely.
4. In large kettle saute leeks and onion in butter or margarine 8 to 10 minutes such that tender.
5. To the kettle add water, peppercorns, bay leaf and ham bone and bring to boil with cover.
6. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
7. Add potatoes and salt and cook for 20 minutes such that potatoes are soft.
8. Prepare the ham by removing its bone, picking off any meat and chopping it and save.
9. Into large bowl through fine strainer sieve soup mixture, chill and skim off any fat.
10. With milk and pieces of ham combine soup mixture and heat just to boiling.
11. To serve optionally add salt and pepper and garnish with chopped leeks.