- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sunshine Salad Recipe
|Arugula/Watercress||8 Ounce (2 Bunches)|
|Ripe avocado||1 (Preferably Haas)|
|Red onion||1 Small|
|Manzanilla olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Spanish)|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||3|
|Extra virgin olive oil||4 Tablespoon (Spanish)|
|Sherry vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh chives||1 Tablespoon, finely snipped|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 238
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.6%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 649.5 mg27.1%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.7%
Sugars 17.1 g
Protein 5 g9.9%
Vitamin A 55.9% Vitamin C 193.1%
Calcium 22.9% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the arugula or watercress well, remove any tough stems, and pat dry.
2) Cut the rind from the oranges, removing the bitter white pith, if any. Cut the oranges into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3) Peel the avocado and cut into half. Pit and dice.
4) Peel the onion, cut into half and thinly sliver.
5) Rinse the olives under cold water. Drain and pat dry.
6) Seed the tomatoes and dice.
7) On a serving platter, arrange the arugula.
8) On top, place orange slices decoratively.
9) Sprinkle the avocado over the oranges.
10) Add the onion and olives decoratively, and then top with the tomatoes.
11) Lightly drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad.
12) Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
13) Serve, garnished with the chives and parsley.
If you are preparing the avocado in advance, toss it with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to prevent discoloration.