- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Baked Chocolate Walnut Squares Recipe
|Hot roll mix||13 3⁄4 Ounce (7 Packages)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Liquid unsweetened chocolate||1 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3 Tablespoon, softened|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3358 Calories from Fat 1119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 127 g195.2%
Saturated Fat 43.8 g219%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 519.7 mg
Sodium 2771.6 mg115.5%
Total Carbohydrates 486 g162.2%
Dietary Fiber 27.4 g109.4%
Sugars 192 g
Protein 68 g135.1%
Vitamin A 32.6% Vitamin C 0.32%
Calcium 17.5% Iron 106.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, combine hot-roll mix, 2 tablespoons of sugar and shortening. Add eggs and water (according to direction on the hot-roll mix box).
2. Place a clean towel over the mix and keep in a warm place. Allow it to rise for one hour or double in bulk.
3. To prepare chocolate take a small bowl and blend chocolate, remaining 8 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and butter or margarine.
4. Take a floured pastry board and place the risen dough. Puncture the dough so it flatten and knead constantly for 5 to 10 minutes until soft and smooth.
5. Keep aside in a warm place with clean towel on top for 10 minutes
6. Roll out dough to a rectangle, 20x10 and spread chocolate mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the walnuts over chocolate layer.
7. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, starting at a long side, roll up each half tightly, jelly-roll fashion.
8. Cut one roll into 6 equal pieces; cut 4 pieces, the same size, from second roll.
9. On a lightly greased large baking sheet, twist remaining piece into a coil and place in centre of a lightly greased large cooky sheet. Pinch ends of all pieces to seal, then arrange around coil to form a sunburst design.
10. In a small bowl, Beat remaining egg slightly
11. Brush the beaten egg all over dough. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup walnuts over top. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise again for 45 minutes in a warm place till double in bulk.
12. In a moderate oven bake at 350° for 20 minutes, or until golden and loaf gives a hollow sound when tapped.
13. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack or kitchen counter.
14. Serve warm or cold with breakfast or tea. Add a chocolate syrup or honey syrup to pour on the side