- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Summer Squash And Oranges Recipe
|Summer squash||2 Pound|
|Canned mandarin oranges||11 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Toasted almond slivers||14 Cup (224 tbs) (Optional)|
Calories 1518 Calories from Fat 1063
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 127 g195.3%
Saturated Fat 10.8 g54%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.4 mg
Sodium 169.9 mg7.1%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g22.1%
Dietary Fiber 33.1 g132.3%
Sugars 19.1 g
Protein 56 g111.5%
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 72.2%
Calcium 69.5% Iron 55.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place the squash in a colander and wash thoroughly.
2. Cut the squash along with peel, crosswise, into thick slices.
3. In a slow cooker or crock pot, place the squash slices.
4. Season them with salt.
5. Pour over water.
6. Cover the pot with its lid
7. Cook the squash on HIGH for about 3 hours or if you are not in a hurry, cook on LOW for about 6 hours, until tender
8. Drain the cooking liquid into a small saucepan and transfer the parsnips onto a serving platter or into a dish. Keep warm
9. Combine the cooking liquid with canned orange syrup and sugar,
10. Place pan on a medium flame and simmer the liquid, stirring, until it reaches a boil
11. Take pan off the heat and add canned oranges and nutmeg into the sauce.
12. Pour the sauce over the squash slices.
13. Garnish with almond slivers.
14. Serve warm as a side dish to roasts or grills.