- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sugar Glazed Gammon Recipe
|Gammon||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Gammon piece||4 Pound (Corner, 1 1/2 - 2 Kilogram)|
|French mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Demerara sugar||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.4%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 41.5 mg1.7%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.78 g3.1%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 60 g119.8%
Vitamin A 34.4% Vitamin C 4.1%
Calcium 1.1% Iron 0.98%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4)
2) Take a mild cured bacon to prepare this dish.
3) Soak the joints for 24 hours.
4) Drain and change the water once or twice in between.
5) In a bowl place the gammon cover with cold water and soak overnight.
6) To cook the gammon either bake or boil.
7) To bake gammon, wrap in a foil, add bay leaf or sprig of rosemary for flavour.
8) Place in roasting tin and bake allowing 30 minutes per lb (450 g).
9) Stir in bay leaf or sprig of rosemary, 1 carrot and 1 small onion stuck with a clove.
10) Cover and simmer allowing 30 minutes to the lb (450 g).
11) With a small sharp knife, peel the rind.
12) Spread fat generously with French mustard. Coat with Demerara sugar.
13) Arrange the trivet in a roasting tin and crisp off in a hot oven (400°F, 200°C or Gas No. 6) for 10-15 minutes.
14) Serve hot.