- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Succotash Chowder Recipe
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, diced|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Celery stalks||2 , diced|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Baby lima beans||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|1% low fat milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely grated lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 672 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 457.2 mg19%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.4%
Dietary Fiber 28.6 g114.5%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 33 g65.8%
Vitamin A 72.3% Vitamin C 17.2%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 32.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and 1/4 cup of the stock to the oil.
3. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the corn kernels and lima beans into the pan along with the remaining stock, and bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, partially covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. In a small bowl, take the cornstarch and add 1/2 cup of the milk and dry mustard. Beat the mixture until smooth. 7. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the soup with the remaining milk and the lemon zest.
8. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes more.
9. Season the soup with salt and pepper before taking it off the heat.
10. Serve hot with freshly-made bread.