- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mediterranean Stuffed Cabbage Malfoof Recipe Video
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed, drained|
|Garlic||3 Tablespoon, minced|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomato sauce||32 Ounce (1 can)|
|Dried mint||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Calories 470 Calories from Fat 239
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.2%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.5 mg23.2%
Sodium 1193.3 mg49.7%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 19 g37.8%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 82.9%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 25.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cut out core of cabbage head and put core side down in a pot, add water to cover cabbage and cook on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes for cabbage leaves to separate.
2. Pour off hot water and cover with cool water to stop the cooking of the cabbage leaves, let cool.
3. FOR STUFFING: In a bowl combine rice, meat, salt, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of garlic.
4. Separate the cabbage leaves and trim down the thick veins in the leaves.
5. In a pot, lay 2 leaves on the bottom of the pot to keep cabbage rolls from sticking.
6. Lay a leaf down flat, place about 2 tablespoon of stuffing in a row and roll leaf tight.
7. Place rolls in the pot in a row, next sprinkle some of the garlic and mint on top and pour about ½ cup of the tomato sauce then repeat the layers.
8. After the last layer, cover the rolls with a dish smaller than the opening of the pot in order to keep the leaves in place.
9. Pour the lemon juice on top and cook on medium heat for about 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10-15 minutes after cooking.
10. In a serving plate, arrange the stuffed cabbages and serve with yogurt and pita bread.