- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Cabbage Leaves Recipe
|Raw rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Cabbage head||1 Large|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), boiling|
|Grated parmesan||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomato sauce||16 Ounce|
|Onion||1 Large, minced|
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.9%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.6 mg1.5%
Sodium 573 mg23.9%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.2%
Sugars 19.3 g
Protein 8 g15.5%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 115.1%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large skillet, heat oil and stir in rice; cook gently over low heat for 5 minutes with constant stirring until lightly browned.
2. Stir in mushrooms, onion and seasonings.
3. Add boiling water and cook covered for about 15 minutes until all moisture is absorbed.
4. Remove skillet from heat and add all but 14 slices of mushroom.
5. In the meantime, remove and discard damaged leaves from cabbage.
6. Core cabbage and separate 3 large leaves.
7. In a bowl of boiling water, place the cabbage leaves, cover and let stand for about 5-10 minutes until leaves are limp and easy to roll.
8. Into the rice mixture, stir in grated cheese.
9. Into each of the cabbage leaf, place 1/3rd cup of rice mixture and fold over the sides of the leaf to make a roll.
10. Finely shred remaining cabbage to get 4 cups.
11. Into the same skillet, place the shredded cabbage and top with cabbage rolls.
12. In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar and pour over the cabbage rolls.
13. Place the skillet over heat and bring it to a boil; cover and let simmer for 5-10 minutes until cabbage is tender-crisp.
14. Garnish top with reserved mushroom slices and serve Stuffed Cabbage Leaves straight from the skillet.