- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Tomato Cups Recipe
|Firm tomatoes||6 Medium|
|Frozen peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (from a 2-pound bag)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sifted|
|Salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon (for batter)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for tomatoes)|
|Oregano leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 706 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 276 mg
Sodium 1537.9 mg64.1%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.7 g74.8%
Sugars 34.9 g
Protein 27 g53.4%
Vitamin A 225.3% Vitamin C 216.2%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 41.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the inside with a teaspoon.
2) Turn the cups upside down to drain.
3) Cook peas as per label directions and drain and keep hot.
4) In a saucepan, heat water and butter or margarine to boiling.
5) Mix in flour and the 1/8 teaspoon salt all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon about 2 minutes. When the batter forms a thick smooth ball that follows the spoon around the pan, take the pan off the heat and cool slightly.
6) Beat in the egg till the mix is thick and shiny-smooth.
7) Add a sprinkle of sugar over the tomato cups, 1/2 teaspoon salt and oregano and fill in with hot cooked peas.
8) Spread about 1 tablespoon batter over the peas in each tomato, then spoon in the remaining batter, dividing evenly, in a mound on top.
9) Place in oven at 400° for 25 minutes, or till the topping is puffed and lightly golden and the tomato cups are hot.
10) Arrange the tomato cups on a serving platter and garnish with oregano.