- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Onions Recipe
|Onions||6 Medium, peeled|
|Low sodium corn oil margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Low sodium corn oil margarine||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground sage||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Fine dry low sodium bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped unsalted walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Reduced fat low sodium cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cubed|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1367 Calories from Fat 747
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 84 g129.2%
Saturated Fat 13.5 g67.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.5 mg
Sodium 155.9 mg6.5%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46.5%
Dietary Fiber 27.8 g111.3%
Sugars 54 g
Protein 26 g51.1%
Vitamin A 82.9% Vitamin C 237.1%
Calcium 38.8% Iron 34.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut a thin slice of onion from each end.
3. Pierce each onion from top through center several times with a fork. Place upright, side-by-side (should fit snugly) in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until onions are tender but not soft. Drain.
4. When onions are cool, scoop out centers and set aside.
5. Brush cooked onions with 1 tablespoon melted margarine.
6. Saute celery, green pepper, and chopped onion centers in remaining margarine until celery is tender. Stir in sage, garlic, pepper, parsley, and bread crumbs.
7. Remove from heat and add nuts and cheese.
8. Spoon mixture into onion cups and bake for 20 minutes.