- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Lamb Braised In Wine Recipe
|Onion||1 Ounce, chopped|
|White fat||1⁄2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Whole wheat bread slice||1 , crusts removed|
|Pork sausage meat||2 Ounce|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Shank end of boned lamb leg||2 1⁄4 Pound|
|White fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 Small, sliced|
|Onion||4 Ounce, peeled 1 and quartered|
|Stalk celery||1 , sliced|
|White wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Parsley sauce mix||1 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Salt||To Taste (For Rubbing)|
|Pepper||To Taste (For Rubbing)|
Calories 786 Calories from Fat 489
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.4%
Saturated Fat 25.4 g126.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 261.1 mg87%
Sodium 463.4 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 51 g103%
Vitamin A 86.7% Vitamin C 8.6%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Crumble the bread and mash the sausage meat to smooth out any lumps.
3. Combine crumbled bread and sausage meat with onion.
4. Add thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and egg yolk. Blend well.
5. Heat oven to 350°F.
6. Place meat, skin side down, on a flat surface, opening it to expose the bone cavity.
7. Fill stuffing into the cavity, using all or most of it.
8. Re-shape the meat to enclose stuffing, and tie with string in 3 or 4 places to keep it in shape.
9. Rub outside of meat with salt and pepper.
10. Heat the fat in a heavy flameproof casserole, and brown the meat all over.
11. Remove it to a plate.
12. Add carrots, onion and celery to the casserole. Stir until they start to brown. Then draw the casserole to the side of the stove.
13. Replace the meat on the vegetables.
14. Put any leftover stuffing on top of the meat.
15. Pour the wine and water into the casserole without wetting the top of the meat or stuffing.
16. Replace on the heat until the liquid is at the boiling point.
17. Cover the casserole tightly and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
18. Remove cover, and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, to brown the top surface.
19. Remove the meat to a carving dish. Garnish with the vegetables.
20. Following the packet directions, make Parsley Sauce, using the liquid in the casserole and milk. Serve it with the meat.