- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
|Cabbage head||1 Small|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and cubed|
|Ground lamb||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||6 Tablespoon|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2306 Calories from Fat 1034
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 115 g176.7%
Saturated Fat 48.6 g243.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 542.6 mg
Sodium 3260.7 mg135.9%
Total Carbohydrates 218 g72.6%
Dietary Fiber 29.1 g116.3%
Sugars 32.6 g
Protein 110 g220.3%
Vitamin A 172.8% Vitamin C 607.3%
Calcium 52.8% Iron 131.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water in a medium-size saucepan for 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return to saucepan; mash, then beat in egg.
3. While potatoes cook, brown lamb in a medium-size frying pan for 5 minutes on each side, then break up into chunks; continue cooking until no pink color remains. Remove meat with a slotted spoon to a large bowl; stir in salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the catsup.
4. Stir onion and celery into drippings in frying pan; saute slowly until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to meat mixture. Pour off drippings, then measure 2 tablespoonfuls and return to pan. Set aside for Step 9.
5. Stir 4 tablespoons of the parsley, bread crumbs, and potato mixture into meat mixture.
6. Carefully peel off large cabbage leaves, one by one, leaving small center ones intact for a base; lay large leaves flat on counter top; place center ones upright on a plate for easy handling.
7. Spread a generous spoonful of the meat mixture on each large leaf, then carefully press back around center to reshape head. (Filling will hold them in place.) Spoon any remaining meat mixture in center. Lift head onto a large piece of cheesecloth; fold corners up over top.
8. Set cabbage on a rack or trivet in a kettle; pour in boiling water almost to bottom of rack; cover tightly. Steam for 30 minutes or until cabbage is crisply tender.
9 While cabbage steams, stir flour into drippings in frying pan from Step 4; cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbly. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups water and remaining 2 tablespoons catsup; continue cooking and stirring until gravy thickens and boils for 1 minute; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
10 Lift cabbage from kettle, holding over kettle a few seconds to let any excess liquid drain off; set on a heated deep serving platter; gently pull out cheesecloth. Garnish platter with parsley and radish roses, if you wish. Cut cabbage into quarters with a sharp knife; serve gravy in a separate bowl to spoon over top.