- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Aubergines Eggplants Recipe
|Aubergines||2 Medium, stalks removed and halved lengthways|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and finely chopped|
|Lean minced beef||6 Ounce (175 g)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Parsley||15 Milliliter, freshly chopped (1 tablespoon)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (400 g, 1 can)|
|Dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Corn flour||2 Teaspoon (10 ml)|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated (100 g)|
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 12 g60.1%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 71.4 mg
Sodium 442.8 mg18.5%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g37.8%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 20 g39.4%
Vitamin A 32.4% Vitamin C 38.1%
Calcium 30.6% Iron 23.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. To prepare aubergines (eggplants) scoop out the flesh from them and chop finely.
3. In an ovenproof dish place the shells.
4. In a pan, melt the butter and fry the onion and aubergine (eggplant) flesh gently until soft.
5. Fry stirring in the beef until browned, stirring constantly to break up the meat.
6. Bring to boil adding the garlic, parsley, tomatoes, marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.
7. In a cup mix the cornflour (cornstarch) to a paste with a little cold water, then stir into the pan.
8. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat and divide the mixture equally between the aubergine (eggplant) halves.
9. Top with grated cheese and cook in a preheated moderate oven for 30 minutes.
10. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool the dish and pack in a freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
11. Serve the dish (regular recipe).
12. To serve the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 1 1/4 hours. Reheat gently on top of the stove, stirring occasionally.
13. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes until the aubergines (eggplants) are heated through and the cheese is brown and bubbling.
14. Serve as indicated in step 9.