- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herb & Nut Stuffed Aubergines Recipe
|Aubergines||1 1⁄4 Pound (2 Large Ones)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Breadcrumbs/6 ounce moist bread||4 Ounce (Brown Or White)|
|Nuts||2 Ounce, milled or grated (Preferably Brazil Nuts)|
|Mixed dried herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
Calories 781 Calories from Fat 466
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g79.9%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 135.5 mg
Sodium 1100.6 mg45.9%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.2%
Dietary Fiber 15 g59.9%
Sugars 14.9 g
Protein 25 g49.3%
Vitamin A 9.7% Vitamin C 26.3%
Calcium 39.5% Iron 20.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to moderate temperature before baking.
2) Slice aubergines into two pieces lengthwise and with a knife point, run round the edge, just inside the skin.
3) Make slits across in many places and add salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
4) After 30 minutes, drain aubergines well and sauté in the oil or butter for 5-7 minutes with cut side down.
5) Into a mixing bowl, with the help of a spoon, hollow out the pulp.
6) In remaining oil or butter, sauté onion until pale yellow and then absorb the fat by mixing in breadcrumbs.
7) Mix onion, bread, nuts, herbs and lemon rind with aubergine pulp and form a stiff stuffing mixture with egg.
8) Add salt and pepper to taste.
9) Apply oil on aubergine skins and fill aubergines with stuffing.
10) Into a greased, shallow ovenproof dish, pack the stuffed aubergines after sprinkling them with grated cheese.
11) Bake for 30 minutes on top shelf of the preheated oven.
12) Serve hot with a green vegetable and tomato sauce.