- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , finely minced|
|Carrots||2 , quartered|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped mushrooms||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated finely|
Calories 365 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.6%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.4 mg
Sodium 369.4 mg15.4%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.4%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 7 g15%
Vitamin A 125.9% Vitamin C 84.4%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 18.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Boil a large pan of salted water.
2) To prepare the artichokes, use a sharp knife to cut off the stems first and then slice off the top third of each artichoke. Throw away the trimmings and rub the cut surfaces with the lemon in order to prevent discoloration.
3) With the help of scissors, trim the sharp tips from the leaves, if any, and rub with lemon. Open the leaves to expose the central prickly -€˜choke-€™ that is surrounded by purple leaves. Pull out the purple leaves and scoop out the hairy chokes with the help of a teaspoon. Discard.
4) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
5) To the now boiling water, add the lemon juice and add the prepared artichokes. Cook for about 20 minutes, till an outer leaf of an artichoke can be pulled out easily.
6) To prepare the stuffing, in a saucepan, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Cook gently for about 5 minutes till soft and lightly colored.
7) Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and add all the remaining stuffing ingredients. Stir well and season to taste.
8) Drain the cooked artichokes and then stand them upside down in a colander in order to extract all the water.
9) Stand the artichokes upright and then spoon the prepared stuffing into the centers.
10) Place the stuffed artichokes in a heatproof dish and then put a pat of butter on each.
11) Around the artichokes, pour the wine and add the onion and carrots. Season lightly to taste and use foil to cover the dish.
12) Cook in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
13) Serve the preparation while it is still piping hot, fresh out of the oven. Makes a good appetizer.