- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
|Acorn squash||3 Medium, halved and seeded|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs) (1 Cup Plus 2 1/2 Cups)|
|Wild rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), thoroughly rinsed|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Celery rib||1 , diced|
|Cortland apples||2 , cored and diced|
|Roasted pumpkin seed||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Available At Many Supermarkets And Ethnic Groceries)|
|Toasted pumpkin seeds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Or Roasted, Available At Many Supermarkets And Ethnic Groceries)|
|Pecan pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), lightly toasted|
|Grated cheddar||6 Ounce|
Calories 632 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.1 mg
Sodium 274.3 mg11.4%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.6%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.1%
Sugars 25.5 g
Protein 19 g38.4%
Vitamin A 36.1% Vitamin C 77.1%
Calcium 36.9% Iron 26.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Place the squash, skin side up on a lightly buttered baking tray. Bake the squash until they are tender, approximately 40 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven, and set them aside. Do not turn off the oven.
3. While the squash are baking, bring the 1 cup of water to a boil, and pour it over the raisins. Allow the raisins to plump for 15 minutes. Drain the raisins, reserving the soaking water.
4. In a medium-sized pot, combine the raisin water and the remaining 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil, and lightly salt it. Add the wild rice, and stir it. Return the water to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot, and simmer the rice until it is tender, approximately 40 minutes. Set the rice aside.
5. While the squash and rice are cooking, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Saute the onion, stirring it often, for 5 minutes. Add the celery, and saute it 3 minutes longer. Add the apples, and cook them until they begin to soften.
6. Combine the reserved raisins, cooked rice, onion mixture, pump-kinseeds, and pecans in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients well, and season the mixture with the salt and pepper. Fill the cavity of each squash half with the rice mixture, and sprinkle the stuffed squash with the cheese.
7. Return the squash to the oven, and bake them until the cheese has melted, approximately 10 minutes.