- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fresh Strawberry Chiffon Pie With Gelatin Recipe
|Flaky pastry/1/2 package piecrust mix||1|
|Strawberries||2 Pint (4 Cups)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 676 Calories from Fat 330
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.7%
Saturated Fat 21.3 g106.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 123.3 mg
Sodium 102.4 mg4.3%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.2%
Sugars 64.4 g
Protein 13 g26.5%
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 236.1%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 6.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Wash strawberries and hull. Slice enough to make 3 cups; reserve the remainder for garnish.
3. Combine sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a medium-size bowl; let stand 5 minutes; mash well or press through a sieve into a large bowl.
4. Soften gelatin in water in a small saucepan. Heat slowly until gelatin dissolves; cool slightly, then stir into strawberry mixture. Place bowl in a pan of ice and water to speed setting; chill, stirring several times, until mixture begins to thicken.
5. While gelatin mixture chills, beat egg whites in a medium-size bowl until foamy white; slowly beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, until meringue stands in firm peaks. In a medium-size bowl, beat 1 cup of the cream until stiff. Fold meringue, then whipped cream into strawberry mixture until no streaks of white remain. Pour into cooled pastry shell. Chill several hours, or until firm.
6. Just before serving, beat remaining cream in a small bowl until stiff; spoon on center of pie. Garnish with remaining strawberries.