- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Strawberry Angel Ring Recipe
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Superfine granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or Extra-Fine)|
|Fine granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 (From Meringue)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Strawberry ice cream||1 Quart|
|Sweetened sliced strawberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 793 Calories from Fat 237
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.5%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 330.2 mg
Sodium 217.9 mg9.1%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26.1%
Sugars 111.3 g
Protein 15 g30.4%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 33.7%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 300 degrees.
2) To make the meringue ring, beat together the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a large bowl till the mixture is foamy-white and double in volume. This usually takes about 5 minutes with an electric blender.
3) Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition till the sugar has dissolved completely and the meringue stands in firm peaks. This takes about 15 minutes of beating. Add the vanilla and beat well.
4) Into a greased 4-cup ring mold. Spoon the meringue and set it in a baking pan. Place on the oven shelf and pour hot water to depth of about an inch.
5) Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or till the top is dry. Cool to cook in the mold in wire rack. Keep the preparation in the mold till it is time to serve. The meringue ring can be made several hours before serving and can be allowed to stand at room temperature.
6) To make the sauce, separate the eggs and put the whites in a medium-sized bowl. Combine the yolks with the other 3 in a small bowl.
7) Beat the whites till they are foamy-white and double in volume. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat till the meringue stands in firm peaks. Beat the egg yolks till they are thick and beat in the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar, the milk and almond extract.
8) In a large bowl, beat the cream till it is stiff. Fold in the yolks mixtures and meringue till no streaks of white or yellow are left. Chill.
9) When it is time to serve, in a large shallow serving bowl, pour the sauce.
10) Around the edge, loosen the meringue ring with a knife and unmold it onto the sauce.
11) With scoops of ice cream, fill the ceter and use sliced strawberries to garnish.
12) Serve immediately.