- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stir Fried Broccoli with Sesame Seeds and Brown Rice Recipe
|Broccoli florets||1 Pound (500 Gram)|
|Sugar snap peas||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Mangetouts||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Brown rice||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Dried kombu seaweed||4 Inch (1 Piece)|
|Groundnut oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Tahini paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1942 Calories from Fat 795
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 91 g140.4%
Saturated Fat 13.4 g66.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2712 mg113%
Total Carbohydrates 236 g78.7%
Dietary Fiber 23.7 g94.7%
Sugars 11.1 g
Protein 55 g109.7%
Vitamin A 350.4% Vitamin C 963.3%
Calcium 77.9% Iron 107.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Trim the sugar snaps and mangetouts and blanch them in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove them from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and refresh in the bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, then drain well. Reserve the pan of vegetable water.
3. Add the red or brown rice to the pan of vegetable water with the kombu, if using, and return to the boil. Reduce the heat a little and cook at a fast simmer for 30 minutes. When the rice is just cooked and still retains a bite, drain well, reserving a little of the water, and discard the seaweed.
4. Heat the groundnut oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the garlic and cook gently, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to flavour the oil. Make sure you do not allow the garlic to burn.
5. Add the drained vegetables to the oil and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Mix together the soy sauce, tahini, sesame oil and 8 tablespoons of the reserved vegetable water. Add this to the vegetables and stir-fry for a further 1 minute.
6. Remove the wok from the heat and toss the cooked red or brown rice through the vegetables. Spoon into serving bowls and top with toasted sesame seeds and black pepper. Serve immediately or you can chill and serve cold.