- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Stewed Capon With Parsley Dumplings Recipe
|Capon||5 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Corn oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and sliced|
|Celery stalks||3 , sliced|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For parsley dumplings|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 1685 Calories from Fat 1016
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 113 g173.5%
Saturated Fat 30.4 g151.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 427.3 mg
Sodium 621.9 mg25.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.6%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 111 g222.1%
Vitamin A 233% Vitamin C 39.4%
Calcium 20% Iron 48.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Discard the wings and legs of capon. Halve them and then divide the halves into quarters.
2. Place a skillet on medium to high heat, sauté onions and garlic till translucent. Stir in chicken, sprinkle paprika and salt and fry, for 10 minutes, turning halfway through, till both sides turn brown.
3. Take a stockpot and arrange onions and capon. Add celery, carrots, thyme, bay leaves and pepper and add water sufficient to cover the mixture. Place on medium heat and bring to a boil.
4. Lower the heat and simmer, covered partially, for about 1.5 hours. Skim off fat frequently.
5. Prepare a mixture of flour, parsley and cream and keep aside for 5 minutes. Add few tablespoons to stew, cook, covered for 5 minutes.
6. Add vegetables, broth and chicken to heated tureen, allowing dumplings to float.
7. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.