- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Steakau Poivre Recipe
|Black peppercorns||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mignon fillets/Boneless sirloins||32 Ounce (4 Fillets, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Green peppercorns||1 Tablespoon, drained|
|Cognac/Brandy of same quantity||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1427 Calories from Fat 918
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g157.3%
Saturated Fat 42 g209.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 331.6 mg
Sodium 753.8 mg31.4%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g1.2%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 91 g182%
Vitamin A 19.4% Vitamin C 6.7%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 48.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a mortar with a pestle or on a board with a rolling pin, coarsely crush the black peppercorns.
2) Pat both sides of each steak into the pepper, then scatter with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3) Remove the peel and finely chop the shallots.
4) In a large skillet over moderate-high heat, stir 1 tablespoon butter in the oil, until melted.
5) Now add the steaks.
6) Cook fillets for 8-10 minutes, turning once, and cook boneless sirloins for 6 minutes, just turning once.
7) Return the steaks to individual serving plates and cover to keep warm.
8) Ladle off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
9) Now add the shallots and cook over moderate low heat until tender and translucent for about 5 minutes, mixing frequently.
10) Now add the green peppercorns and the cognac.
11) Allow the mixture to boil over high heat, then add the broth.
12) Further cook until the liquid is reduced by half for about 3 minutes.
13) Take off the pan from the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, whipping until the butter melts and the sauce is of smooth consistency.
14) Add required seasonings the sauce to taste, then ladle over each steak and serve at once.