- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Steak & Guinness Pie Recipe Video
|For the stew|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (2 - 3 Tbsp used)|
|Red onions/White or yellow onions||3 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled, sliced|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium, sliced|
|Rosemary sprig||1 Medium|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, minced|
|Sliced mushrooms||20 Ounce (2 Packages of sliced brown mushrooms)|
|Stew meat||2 Pound, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Guinness stout beer||330 Milliliter (One bottle of Guinness beer)|
|Beef stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (As needed to cover the meat pieces)|
|For the slurry (if needed)|
|For the pie|
|Grated cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Irish Cheddar Cheese)|
|Puff pastry||1 Medium (One sheet - Defrosted for 40 minutes if frozen)|
|Eggs||1 Medium, lightly beaten|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
Calories 641 Calories from Fat 363
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g62.3%
Saturated Fat 13.4 g66.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.1 mg
Sodium 658.3 mg27.4%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 42 g83.6%
Vitamin A 89.5% Vitamin C 10.9%
Calcium 26.3% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Rimmed baking sheet
3. Casserole dish
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set it aside.
2. In a soup pot, heated with 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil, saute onions for about 10 minutes, over medium-high heat.
3. Season with a little kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Keep stirring every few minutes.
4. After 10 minutes, add a sprig of rosemary, garlic, carrots and celery. Stir well.
5. Add 20 oz (2 packages) of sliced brown mushrooms. Stir in ﬂour and mix everything well.
6. Then add meat and Guinness beer. Stir all the ingredients well.
7. Add just enough beef stock to cover meat (about 4 cups).
8. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to low, cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour.
9. Uncover the lid, raise the temperature form low to medium and let the stew simmer vigorously for another 1/2 hour.
10. If the stew needs to be thickened, make a slurry with cornstarch and a little water, stir it well. Add into the stew and cook until thickened.
11. Take a casserole dish and place it inside the foil lined baking sheet. Pour the stew into the casserole dish and put shredded Irish Cheddar cheese on top.
12. Unfold the thawed puff pastry and lay on top. Fold ends in. Brush the pastry with beaten egg yolk, then sprinkle with some Kosher salt.
13. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
14. Serve the Stew along with the puff pastry and some buttered peas.
If there are leftovers, the next day defrost a 2nd sheet of puff pastry and cut into 6 squares. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes.
Reheat the Steak & Guinness Pie in the microwave oven and while serving, top each portion with a freshly baked puff pastry.