- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Steak Fajitas with Black Beans and Spicy Red Rice Recipe
|For the marinade:|
|Dark beer||750 Milliliter (Such As Negra Modelo / Dos Equis, 1 Bottle)|
|Jalapeno chile||1 , minced|
|Scallions||6 , sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 Pinch|
|Ground oregano||1 Pinch, dried|
|For the steaks:|
|Top sirloin steak||32 Ounce, sliced into thin strips about 2 to 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide (4, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Black beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), cooked|
|For the spicy red rice:|
|Ground oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Onion||1⁄2 , minced|
|White rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), rinsed in cold water and drained|
|Red chile powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the fajitas:|
|Peanut oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 , sliced|
|Poblano chile/Green bell pepper||1 , seeded and julienned|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded and julienned|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Orange||1 , juice extracted|
|Lime||1 , juice extracted|
|For the garnish:|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon (As Required)|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (4 Tablespoon)|
|Avocado||1 , pitted, quartered and sliced|
|Lime||1 , cut into wedges|
Calories 1864 Calories from Fat 665
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g115.6%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 183.7 mg
Sodium 1582.2 mg65.9%
Total Carbohydrates 202 g67.2%
Dietary Fiber 33.7 g134.7%
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 87 g174.2%
Vitamin A 67.4% Vitamin C 141.1%
Calcium 28.5% Iron 64.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a glass dish, put together all the marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly.
2. Toss in the sliced sirloin to coat thoroughly.
3. Cover the dish and marinate for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Remove the dish 1 hour in advance to cooking to let it come down to room temperature before cooking.
5. Remove the meat from the marinade, drain, and pat dry.
6. Prepare the beans and keep warm.
7. In a dry, heavy skillet, place the oregano and cumin and toast over low heat for 1 minute until fragrant; stir frequently.
8. Keep it aside.
9. In a sautÃ© pan or skillet, melt butter for preparing rice.
10. Stir in garlic and onion; sautÃ© over medium-low heat for 7- 8 minutes until soft.
11. Add rice, 3 1/2 cups of water, chile powder, and salt; stir to mix and bring the mixture to a boil.
12. Boil for 2 minutes and then turn the heat to low.
13. Cover the pan and simmer rice for 20 - 25 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
14. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
15. Keep warm.
16. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil for fajitas.
17. Add the marinated steak in skillet and sautÃ© for 2 - 3 minutes until browned; stir frequently.
18. Remove the steak and keep it warm in a plate.
19. In the same skillet, stir in onion, poblano chile, and red bell pepper; season with salt and pepper and sautÃ© over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes until soft.
20. Return the steak to the skillet and add orange juice, and lime juice, and toss together.
21. In a dry skillet, warm tortillas.
22. In a basket, place the warmed tortillas and cover with a towel to keep warm.
23. In a large serving platter, serve fajita mixture.
24. In separate large serving dishes, serve beans and rice separately.
25. Garnish beans with cilantro.
26. For individual serving, take a warm tortilla, place some of the fajita mixture in the center, and garnish with the sour cream and cilantro.
27. Add a little of the avocado and sprinkle juice of a lime wedge.
28. Roll up the tortilla and eat with hand.