- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Steak and Kidney Pie with Mustard Gravy Recipe
|Puff pastry||1 Pound|
|Plain flour||40 Milliliter (2 1/2 Tablespoon, All Purpose)|
|Rump steak||1 1⁄2 Pound, cubed (675 Gram, Round)|
|Lamb kidneys||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram / 2 Tablespoon)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Hot english mustard||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter / 2/3 Cup)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4272 Calories from Fat 2095
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 233 g359%
Saturated Fat 52.6 g263.2%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 971.6 mg
Sodium 2393 mg99.7%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g88.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.4 g45.5%
Sugars 11.1 g
Protein 278 g555%
Vitamin A 94.5% Vitamin C 78.7%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 129.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Put the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss the steak in the mixture.
3. Remove the fat, skin and tough central core from the kidneys, and slice them thickly. Add the slices to the steak and toss well.
4. Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and fry over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add the mustard, bay leaves, parsley and stock and stir well.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Place the steak and kidney in the pie dish and add the stock mixture.
6. Roll out the remaining puff pastry to a thickness of 3mm/1/8in to use for the pie lid. Brush the edges of the pastry case with beaten egg and cover with the lid. Press the edges firmly together to seal, then trim. Use the trimmings to decorate the top with pastry leaves.
7. Brush the pie with a little beaten egg and make a small hole in the pastry lid for the funnel. Bake for about 1 hour until the pastry is well risen and golden brown. Serve the pie hot, straight from the pie dish.