- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Squash Sunflowers Recipe
|Carrots||4 Large, thinly sliced to make 2 cups|
|Pattypan squash||24 Ounce (4 Small Ones, 6 Ounce Each)|
|Chopped pecans/Sunflower seeds||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 171 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.9%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 62.4 mg
Sodium 52.3 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.6%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 2 g4%
Vitamin A 245.5% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a microwaveable casserole, Place the carrots and 3 tablespoons of water.
2. Cover the casserole and place in the microwave.
3. In the microwave, cook the mixture on 100 per cent power or High for 8 to 10 minutes, till the carrots are very tender, stirring once in between.
4. Take the bowl out of the microwave but do not drain the carrots.
5. In a blender or mixer bowl, place the carrots with the cooking liquid, egg yolk, and butter or margarine.
6. Put the bowl on a mixer or food processor and blend or process till smooth, stopping once in a while to push mixture towards the blades.
7. With a knife, take off a thin slice from the bottom of each squash so that it stands upright when placed on a surface.
8. Turn the squash towards the blossom end and cut a slice there too.
9. With a scooping knife or spoon, remove the soft center of the squash along with the seeds and discard them.
10. Gently sprinkle each squash with salt and pepper.
11. Take a a 12x71/2x2-inch microwaveable baking dish and arrange the squash, with the blossom end down.
12. Now pour 2 tablespoons water into the dish.
13. Take a sheer vented plastic wrap used for oven cooking and cover the dish with it.
14. In the microwave, cook the zucchini on 100 per cent power or High for 6 to 8 minutes, till the squash is tender, rearranging them once in between.
15. Take the dish out of the microwave and remove the wrap.
16. Drain the squash and rearrange them on the baking dish, with the cut side up this time.
17. With a spoon, stuff the carrot mixture into the squash in the baking dish
18. Gently top it with pecans or sunflower seeds.
19. Place the dish in the microwave. Do not cover.
20. In the microwave, cook on High 1 to 2 minutes, till it is heated through.
21. Serve hot.