- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Squash Fritters Recipe
|Hubbard squash||1 Pound|
|Flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 536 Calories from Fat 32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.6%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.6 mg
Sodium 569 mg23.7%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27.1%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 17 g34%
Vitamin A 125.9% Vitamin C 22.7%
Calcium 35.9% Iron 36.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, add the squash roughly cut into medium size pieces and cover with water.
2. Boil the squash until very tender.
3. Drain and leave to cool.
4. When the squash is cool, puree in a blender or press though a strainer to get a fine pulp.
5. In a large basin, sift the flour with salt and baking powder.
6. Add the squash pulp and stir in the milk, to bind into soft dough.
7. Cover the bowl and place in a warm area for about 15 minutes to rest.
8. Heat oil in a deep fat fryer or a frying pan.
9. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface,
10. Roll and cut into 1-inch thick strips and shape into pretzels or twist like crullers.
11. Drop the dough pieces in the hot fat and fry in batches until golden.
12. Remove and drain on paper toweling.
13. Serve the fritters hot and crispy along with maple syrup if you like.