- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sprout Quiche Recipe
|9 inch whole wheat quiche shell||1 , glazed with egg white, cooled|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, well chilled|
|Mung bean sprouts||8 Ounce|
|Dry thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Plus To Taste)|
|Pepper white||1 Pinch, freshly ground|
|Half and half/Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 538 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.1%
Saturated Fat 14.1 g70.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 226 mg
Sodium 668.1 mg27.8%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.1%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 23 g46.9%
Vitamin A 19.9% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 43.2% Iron 17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. With a grater or using the shredding disc of a food processor, shred the cheese.
3. With a knife or with the slicing disc of a food processor, slice the onion and celery.
4. In a bowl, place the eggs.
5. Continue mixing while you pour the half & half, salt, pepper and nutmeg and blend until smooth.
6. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and heat the oil.
7. Add the onion and celery and cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion is soft.
8. Add the mung sprouts and cook till just limp.
9. Take off heat and drain.
10. Add the salt, thyme and flour, and toss together.
11. In the quiche shell, spread the cheese mixture in a layer and then the sprout mixture.
12. Place the shell on a cookie sheet.
13. Pour the half & half custard on the shell.
14. In the oven, place in the center rack and bake for 5 minutes, and then, reduce the temperature to 375Â° and bake for another 30-35 minutes, until custard is firm, puffy and lightly browned.
15. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
16. Serve cut into wedges.