- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Easy Split Pea Soup Recipe Video
|Dried split peas||1 Pound, rinsed and sorted|
|Onion||1⁄2 , diced|
|Carrots||2 , halved and sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , halved|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), skinned and minced|
|Frozen bacon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced small|
|Chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|White pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 342 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.5%
Saturated Fat 8 g39.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.8 mg
Sodium 1442.8 mg60.1%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.6%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 15 g30.2%
Vitamin A 110.6% Vitamin C 9.4%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 4.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To begin this split pea soup recipe, place chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat your soup pot on high heat.
3. Add bacon to 3 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Saute the bacon until crisp and softened. If you prefer a vegetarian split pea soup, omit the bacon and ham.
5. Add vegetables and saute until softened.
6. Stir in the peas for about 1 minute.
7. Add 8 cups chicken broth and drop in bay leaf. If you are making the split pea and ham soup, add the ham hock at this time.
8. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for one hour.
9. Or, for a crock pot split pea soup, transfer to a slow cooker and heat on high for 4 hours.
10. Mash the green split pea soup and serve topped with a drizzle of sour cream and a dash of white pepper.