- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Split Pea Soup with Pork Recipe
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Split peas||12 Ounce|
|Carrots||3 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Marjoram leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Boneless pork||1 Pound|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1790 Calories from Fat 347
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.3%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.5%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 290.3 mg
Sodium 2336.8 mg97.4%
Total Carbohydrates 242 g80.7%
Dietary Fiber 96.6 g386.4%
Sugars 46.7 g
Protein 189 g377.3%
Vitamin A 613.5% Vitamin C 45.7%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 73.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a 4-quart kettle or Dutch oven and pour water into it and add peas. Allow them to soak overnight or quickly soak them in water sometime before cooking and drain off.
2. Drain the water and stir in carrots, marjoram, onion, salt and cloves.
3. Cook over low heat for about half an hour until the peas turn soft.
4. Stir in pork and cook over low heat for another 1 ½ hours until the pork has lost its pinkness.
5. Take out the pork and cut it into ½ inch cubes.
6. Cool soup and puree it in blender by adding little by little at time.
7. Reheat the soup, and pour it into the tureen and add pork cubes. Stir well.
8. Serve the split pea soup with pork and pair it with pasta.