- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Split Pea and Spinach Curry Recipe
|Fresh ginger root piece||1 (1 X 1/4 Inch)|
|Garlic cloves||1 Large|
|Onion||1 Large (Medium To Large)|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Turmeric||3⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Coriander||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Yellow split peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), rinsed (Unsoaked)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Canned coconut milk/1 1/2 cups coconut milk||12 Ounce, frozen, defrosted (1 Can)|
|Fresh spinach/1 package of 10 ounce frozen leaf spinach, defrosted||1 Pound, rinsed and stems discarded (Uncooked)|
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g56.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 307.7 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g73.8%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 21 g41.3%
Vitamin A 144% Vitamin C 43.6%
Calcium 9.9% Iron 26.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the ginger until finely grated, keep aside.
2) Add garlic and process until finely minced.
3) Add onion and process until coarsely chopped.
4) In a large dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in oil on a medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, until transparent and soft.
5) Stir in ginger and saute for about 30 seconds. Then stir in cumin, turmeric, coriander and cayenne pepper and saute for further 1 minute, stirring constantly.
6) Stir in the split peas, water, coconut milk and salt, and simmer covered for 20-25 minutes or until the peas are tender.
7) In a processor bowl with a metal blade, process the spinach until coarsely chopped.
8) Stir into the peas and cook for another 10 minutes, add
a little water if too thick.
9) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.