- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spitzer's Kirschtorte Recipe
|Dark red cherries||1 Tablespoon|
|Brandy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3 , melted|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant coffee||2 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Pint|
|Semisweet chocolate||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 916 Calories from Fat 498
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g87.5%
Saturated Fat 34.4 g172.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 224.2 mg
Sodium 481.8 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31%
Sugars 37.4 g
Protein 14 g28%
Vitamin A 35.9% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 28.1% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Mix cherries with brandy and keep in the refrigerator for 2 days, stirring occasionally, to allow cherries to absorb brandy well.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
3. Sieve flour with baking powder, salt and soda.
4. Beat butter to a creamy smooth mixture. Add sugar slowly and beat till mixture turns fluffy. Add 1 tbsp brandy-cherry juice and vanilla and beat well. Add eggs one each and whisking each time. Whip in chocolate.
5. Mix milk with instant coffee and add this mixture and flour to butter mixture, alternately. Beat to a smooth mixture after each time.
6. Take 9 inch layer cake pans, prepare them and turn the mixture into them. Allow to bake for half an hour. Allow to cool lightly. Take cooling racks and turn cold cakes onto them.
7. Beat cream to form soft peaks, sweeten as desired and add very little brandy to flavor the cream.
8. Top one cake layer with a thick cream layer and sprinkle drained cherries. Add second layer. Using whipped cream, cover the sides and top. Spread rest of the cherries on the top.
9. Arrange shaved semi-sweet chocolate pieces on cake sides, keep in refrigerator and allow to chill for a minimum of 12 hours.
10. Slice and serve.