- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spinach with Eggs and Cheese Recipe
|Fresh spinach/Frozen spinach - 12 ounce, 350 grams packet||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|For the cheese sauce|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, grated (100 Grams)|
Calories 325 Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.7%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g61.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 262.5 mg
Sodium 459.7 mg19.2%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.8%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 19 g38.7%
Vitamin A 228% Vitamin C 53.1%
Calcium 41.4% Iron 25.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash fresh spinach with cold water and remove centre rib from the leaves.
2. Preheat the grill.
3. In a saucepan, boil water and when the water starts to boil, place the eggs in it.
4. Boil for 2 minutes, then rotate and boil for another 3 minutes until soft boiled.
5. Spoon the egg and plunge them into cold water and remove the shells.
6. In a large saucepan, place the washed spinach and do not add any water, spinach will release water as it cooks.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and bring it to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes.
8. Drain well and chop coarsely.
9. If frozen spinach is used, follow directions on the package and cook them.
10. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
11. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
12. Slowly stir in milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
13. Stir and cook until the sauce is thick and smooth and then, simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
14. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
15. Stir in half the grated cheese, and remove the pan from the heat.
16. In a heatproof serving dish, place the spinach.
17. Using a spoon, make four hollows in the spinach.
18. Fill each hole with a soft boiled egg.
19. Spoon all the cheese sauce over the top.
20. Garnish with remaining cheese
21. Grill for about 7-8 minutes until bubbling hot and brown.
22. Serve hot.