- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spinach Salad: On the Side #14 Recipe Video
|Baby spinach||6 Ounce|
|Cider vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
|Thick bacon slices||4 Medium, cut into pieces|
|Red onion||1⁄4 , finely chopped|
|Minced garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
Calories 151 Calories from Fat 67
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.5%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 317.2 mg105.7%
Sodium 316.7 mg13.2%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 12 g23.9%
Vitamin A 127.3% Vitamin C 46.6%
Calcium 13.7% Iron 20.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place spinach in large bowl.
2. In a small measuring cup, mix together the vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt and set aside.
3. In medium saute pan, cook bacon over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon from pan and onto some paper towel to drain. Pour the rendered bacon fat in the pan into a foil-lined bowl or can. (This can be thrown away later.)
4. Return the pan to the stove and turn heat down to medium.
5. Add olive oil and cook the onion & garlic for about 1 minute. Switch to a wooden spoon. Slide the pan off the heat and add the vinegar mixture.
6. By stirring in small circles, dissolve the browned bits in into the vinegar.
7. Pour the hot dressing over spinach leaves and toss with tongs. Then add the chopped egg & bacon and toss well.
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!