- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spinach Roll Recipe
|Fresh spinach||2 Pound|
|Prepared puff pastry||3⁄4|
|Cottage cheese/Ricotta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 876 Calories from Fat 408
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.6%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g65.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 435.3 mg
Sodium 2174 mg90.6%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g21.9%
Dietary Fiber 21.1 g84.3%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 64 g128.5%
Vitamin A 1714.8% Vitamin C 425.2%
Calcium 140.3% Iron 156.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Grease a baking sheet lightly and dust with flour.
2) Wash spinach and remove stalks and tough midribs.
3) Roll prepared puff pastry on a floured surface to a rectangle 12 inches long by 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick.
4) Separate the 3 eggs.
5) Preheat oven at 450°F
6) Place spinach in a large and wet saucepan.
7) Cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
8) Drain in colander and chop finely. Drain.
9) Rub cottage cheese through a sieve.
10) Beat 3 yolks lightly.
11) In a mixing bowl add eggs and spinach.
12) Mix cottage or ricotta and Parmesan cheeses.
13) Add salt and freshly ground pepper.
14) Beat egg whites till stiff.
15) Fold into the mixture.
16) Moisten edges of the pastry with cold water. Spoon spinach mixture at the center of rectangle and within 1 inch of shorter edges.
17) Fold the pastry quickly over the spinach, close the edges tightly. Close up three sides with lightly beaten extra egg yolk.
18) Roll out pastry trimmings. Use the trimmings to decorate the top of the roll.
19) Brush with remaining egg yolk.
20) Put 2 or 3 slits on pastry top for the steam to escape.
21) Place the pastry roll onto the baking sheet.
22) Bake oven for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes.
23) Serve roll cut into thick slices hot or cold.