- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spinach Potato Gnocchi with Uncooked Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe
|Tomatoes||6 Medium, peeled (Sauce:)|
|Tomatoes||6 Medium, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped|
|Basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Oregano||1 Tablespoon, chopped (Sauce:)|
|Thyme||1 Tablespoon, chopped (Sauce:)|
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed (Sauce:)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Spinach||1 Pound, finely chopped|
|Russet potatoes||3 Medium, scrubbed|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), unbleached|
|Spinach||1 Pound, finely chopped, washed, and drained|
|Parmesan||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), grated|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Plus Additional For Sprinkling)|
Calories 647 Calories from Fat 182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.7%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.6 mg
Sodium 1115.6 mg46.5%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.3%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g60.8%
Sugars 12.7 g
Protein 35 g69.3%
Vitamin A 508.1% Vitamin C 220.8%
Calcium 87.2% Iron 77.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare the sauce, in a large, nonmetal bowl mix all the sauce ingredients well, cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate the sauce for 2 hours.
2. In a large pot cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are very tender, approximately 20 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool.
4. While the potatoes are cooling, in a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and sautÃ© the spinach, stirring it constantly, until it is wilted.
5. Add the nutmeg, and set the spinach aside.
6. When the potatoes are cool, slip off their skins and mash their flesh until it is smooth, or pass it through a food mill.
7. Into a large mixing bowl add the mashed potatoes and stir the flour, egg yolk, Parmesan, reserved cooked spinach, salt and pepper to form into dough.
8. Onto a lightly floured work surface Turn the dough out, knead the dough for 3 minutes, and form it into a ball.
9. Slice a 2-inch piece of dough from the ball and on a lightly floured surface, roll piece into a long cylinder approximately the width of your thumb.
10. Cut the cylinder crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces, set aside on a lightly floured plate and repeat the procedure with the remaining dough.
11. In a large pot of water brought to a boil, add the gnocchi.
12. In a large dutch oven heat the fresh tomato sauce over medium heat just until it is warm.
13. When the gnocchi float, drain them, add them to the sauce stirring the gnocchi well and serve them immediately, accompanied by additional Parmesan.