- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Walnut Meringue Shell Recipe
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.6%
Saturated Fat 0.77 g3.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 339.4 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.7%
Sugars 51.5 g
Protein 20 g39.1%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.31%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 2.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 275°F
2) Finely chop the walnuts
3) Take a clean bowl and beat egg whites together with cream of tartar and salt, until the mixture form soft peaks.
4) Gradually add sugar, only 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating the mixture, till the meringue stands up in stiff glossy peaks.
5) To this mixture add cinnamon and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and mix gently.
6) Gently add the chopped walnuts to meringue.
7) Now, take a 9 or 10 inch pie plate and spread the meringue on it. Spread the mixture evenly on the sides and bottom of the plate, and make sure that the bottom shell is around 1/4 inch thick and the sides are 1 inch thick.
8) Place the pie plate in the slow oven, preheated to 275°F and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
9) Allow the crust to cool down before serving.