- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Squash and Pepper Casserole Recipe
|Yellow squash||2 Medium, chopped and cooked|
|Zucchini||2 Medium, chopped and cooked|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Banana pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, seeded and chopped|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Skim milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Hot sauce||2 Drop|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1170 Calories from Fat 344
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.9%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 284.8 mg
Sodium 636 mg26.5%
Total Carbohydrates 139 g46.4%
Dietary Fiber 36.7 g146.7%
Sugars 76 g
Protein 71 g142.1%
Vitamin A 58.1% Vitamin C 371.5%
Calcium 79.4% Iron 24.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre heat an oven at 175C (350F).
2. Coat an oven proof casserole dish or baking dish with cooking spray and keep aside.
3. In a large sized skillet, coat with cooking spray. Heat skillet.
4. Once hot, add onions and peppers, mix well and sautÃ© on a medium flame till peppers soften.
5. Remove off flame, add cooked squash and mix gently. Keep aside.
6. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt margarine.
7. Add flour and cook for a minute, while stirring continuously using a whisk.
8. Add milk and mix well. Cook on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till sauce thickens.
9. Add hot sauce and cheese. Mix well.
10. Add beaten egg and squash mixture and quickly mix off flame.
11. Transfer mixture on to greased dish and cover with lid or aluminium foil.
12. Bake in pre heated oven for 30 minutes.
13. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside.
14. Place on a serving platter and serve warm.