- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Shrimp and Spinach Soup Recipe
|Fresh jalapenos/2 whole canned jalapenos, rinsed, drained, and seeded||2 , washed, patted dry and seeded|
|White onions||2 Medium|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||3 Large, minced|
|Crushed dried oregano||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock/2 1/2 cups canned chicken stock and 2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh spinach||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Packed For Measuring)|
|Medium shrimp||1 Pound, unpeeled (20 Medium Size)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1906 Calories from Fat 825
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g144.9%
Saturated Fat 42 g209.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 877.1 mg
Sodium 3874 mg161.4%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.3%
Dietary Fiber 22.2 g88.6%
Sugars 36.7 g
Protein 159 g318.4%
Vitamin A 332.4% Vitamin C 236%
Calcium 138.6% Iron 143.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut Jalapenos into thin slices. Peel and cut onion.
2) Peel the avocado and slice it into 2 halves. Remove the stones and chop the flesh into 1/2 inch dice.
3) Quarter the limes.
4) Take a skillet and place it over medium heat. Melt butter in it.
5) Stir in chopped onions, jalapenos, and garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir frequently.
6) Take the pan off the heat and add bay leaf, thyme and oregano.
7) Take a saucepan and place it over high heat. Pour in stock and bring it to a boil. Add the sautéed vegetables from the skillet, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for about 30 minutes.
8) In a small bowl, take avocado dices and mix 1 tbsp of lime juice in it. Add grated Parmesan cheese and set the mixture aside.
9) Now, wash the spinach thoroughly and drain. Remove the hard stems and cut the spinach into bite sized pieces.
10) Also, wash and drain shrimps in cold water. Remove the legs and discard.
11) Increase the heat of the pan with simmering stock. Bring the stock to a boil and then add shrimps and cook for about 3 minutes until they turn pink and firm.
12) Now, take the pan off the heat and stir in spinach bites and 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Cover the pan with lid to allow spinach to steam.
13) Adjust seasonings as per taste.
14) Pour soup in individual bowls and garnish with avocado, corinader, scallions, Parmesan, and lime wedges. Serve hot.