- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Merguez with Spinach and White Beans Recipe
|Extra virgin olive oil||5 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Spinach||4 Pound, stems removed, washed and dried|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and cut into small cubes|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Chopped fresh mint leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh cilantro leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Harissa/1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Four Spice Blend)|
|Dried cannellini beans/Black-eyed peas||1⁄2 Pound, soaked overnight in cold water and drained|
|Merguez sausage||2 Pound (As 1 Long Link Or Individual Links)|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Squeezed From About 2 Lemons)|
|Coarse sea salt/Kosher salt||To Taste|
Calories 790 Calories from Fat 406
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.6%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120 mg
Sodium 1406.6 mg58.6%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.2 g68.8%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 55 g109%
Vitamin A 888.2% Vitamin C 243%
Calcium 57.8% Iron 78%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a wide cast-iron pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the spinach, little by little, and cook, stirring continuously, until all the spinach has wilted and browned slightly and all the liquid has evaporated, 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Add the onions, garlic, mint, cilantro, harissa (or cayenne), black pepper, and Four-Spice Powder and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Pour in 4 cups water and add the cannellini beans (or black-eyed peas). Stir, bring to a simmer, and cover. Braise in the oven for 2 hours, or until the beans are nearly tender.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sear the merguez on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
6. Stir the lemon juice into the beans and place the seared merguez on top. Cover and continue to braise until the beans are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 30 minutes more. Season with salt to taste.