- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Lentil Stew Recipe
|Diced onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lentils||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, drained, 2 cups cooking liquid reserved|
|Cooked lentils||1⁄2 Pound, drained, 2 cups cooking liquid reserved|
|Canned whole tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained, chopped|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon (Or Use According To Taste)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 153 Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.1%
Saturated Fat 0.69 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 889 mg37%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.6%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 49.6% Vitamin C 47.4%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 20.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a 2-quart saucepan, saute the onions in the margarine, stirring occasionally, until softened.
2) Stir in rest of the ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
3) Simmer over a low heat for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and flavors are well blended.
4) Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
5) Serve immediately in individual serving bowls.