- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Lentil Soup With Spinach Recipe
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Canola oil/Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Curry powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Brown lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and picked over|
|Vegetable stock||2 Quart|
|Packed fresh spinach leaves/5 ounces, 1/2 package frozen, thawed||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and stems removed|
|Plain non fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.7%
Saturated Fat 0.73 g3.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.62 mg
Sodium 1005.3 mg41.9%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.4%
Dietary Fiber 34.3 g137%
Sugars 7.4 g
Protein 28 g55.4%
Vitamin A 33.8% Vitamin C 29.8%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 49.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the celery, garlic, onion, and spices.
3. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the lentils and the stock.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 50 to 60 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
7. Stir in the spinach leaves and salt.
8. Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes longer.
9. Serve each portion of soup topped with a spoonful of yogurt.