- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Black Eye Beans Recipe
|Black eyed beans||12 Ounce, soaked overnight in cold water (350 Gram, 2 Cups)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Clear honey||1 Tablespoon|
|Treacle||2 Tablespoon (Molasses)|
|Dark soy sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||4 Tablespoon (Paste)|
|Vegetable stock||16 Fluid Ounce (450 Milliliter, 2 Cups, Fresh)|
|Cornflour||1 Tablespoon (Cornstarch)|
|Red bell peppers||2 Medium, deseeded and diced|
|Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Crusty bread||1 (For Serving)|
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.8%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1137.6 mg47.4%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.3%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g73.9%
Sugars 21.1 g
Protein 25 g50.5%
Vitamin A 67.7% Vitamin C 204.8%
Calcium 32.4% Iron 79.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
2) In a saucepan with water boil the rinsed beans, rapidly for 10 minutes. Then drain well and transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
3) In a frying pan or skillet, saute the onions for 5 minutes. Then, stir in the soy sauce, honey, treacle, mustard and tomato puree. Add the stock, allow to boil and pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
4) Tie together the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and sage with a string an add into the casserole dish.
5) Pare 3 pieces of orange rind and stir into the beans, with the pepper. Then cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
6) Blend the cornflour with freshly extracted orange juice and form a paste. Stir into the beans alongwith the red peppers. Cook covered for 1 hour, until the sauce is thick and the beans are soft. Discard the herbs and the orange rind.
7) Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with a nice crusty bread.