- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Black Bean Pitas with Vegetables Recipe
|Beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried black beans/Black beans - 3 cups canned, drained and rinsed||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), dried one picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight or|
|Black beans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), dried|
|Black beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), canned|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Scotch bonnet/Jalapeno / serrano||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Jalapeno/Bonnet / serrano||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Nonfat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Sauce)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Of 1/2 Lemon)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (Sauce)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Salt||To Taste (Sauce)|
|Pitas||4 Medium (Sauce)|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, diced|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, peeled (Sauce)|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, peeled, seeded and diced|
|Alfalfa sprouts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Feta||4 Ounce, crumbled|
Calories 909 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.2%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27.7 mg
Sodium 883.8 mg36.8%
Total Carbohydrates 141 g46.9%
Dietary Fiber 27.8 g111.1%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 48 g97%
Vitamin A 30.8% Vitamin C 29.7%
Calcium 44.9% Iron 62.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To make the beans, in a Dutch oven cover them with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer the beans until they are tender, approximately 1 hour and sprinkle with the salt.
2. In a saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat, sautÃ© the onion and hot pepper, stirring them often, until they are soft and then sautÃ© in the garlic until it is fragrant.
3. Add the coriander, cumin and chili powder, saute for 1 minute, add water and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. To the cooked beans and their liquid add the sauteed seasonings and in a food processor, blend the mixture until it is smooth.
5. To a nonmetal container transfer the bean puree and add the lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
6. To make the sauce, in a nonmetal bowl combine all the sauce ingredients and chill for 1 hour.
7. To make the sandwiches, over the pitas spread the black beans, fill them with the tomatoes, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts and feta and drizzle the sauce over the filling.
8. Serve immediately.