- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Beef Noodle Soup (Bun Bo Hue) Recipe Video
|For the soup|
|Beef bones||1 1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Lemon grass sprig||1 Medium, cut legthwise|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Ginger slices||5 Medium|
|Coriander roots||3 Medium (Tied together with a string)|
|Rest of the ingredients|
|Beef shin/Gravy beef||1 Kilogram (Boiled in water for 5 minutes before adding to the soup stock)|
|Beef paste||3 Tablespoon (Heaped)|
|Fresh chili/Chili flakes||To Taste (Optional)|
|Rice noodles||1 Kilogram, cooked as per package instructions (As needed)|
|Vegetables for the soup|
|Spring onions||20 Gram|
|Beans sprout||30 Gram|
|Water spinach||30 Gram (Rau Muong)|
|For the garnish|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Tablespoon (As needed)|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon (As needed)|
Calories 568 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 44 mg
Sodium 943.6 mg39.3%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 25 g50.6%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 7.7%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 17.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
To prepare the beef bones (to ensure the stock is clear when prepared):
1. In a pot of 3 liters of water , add the beef bones and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, remove from the heat, drain and rinse the bones in water.
To prepare the soup stock:
3. Take 4 liters of water in the pot, bring it to a boil. Add the clean beef bones, lemon grass, coriander roots, ginger, salt and sugar.
4. Boil over medium heat for 1 hour.
5. After 1 hour, add beef shin (gravy beef) and cook for another 30 - 45 minutes. Add water to top up the soup stock.
6. Add spicy beef paste to the stock. You may also add fresh chilies or chili flakes to the stock, if desired.
7. After about 45 minutes, remove the gravy beef from the soup stock and let it cool down.
8. Slice the gravy beef into thin slices, as if you are slicing a roast beef, but much thinner.
9. Assemble the spicy noodle soup by placing the noodles, vegetables and thinly sliced gravy beef into a soup bowl and add the soup stock.
10. Garnish with some freshly squeezed lime juice and fish sauce to taste, serve warm and enjoy!