- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spiced York Pot Roast Recipe
|Beef roast||5 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Horseradish root piece||1 Small, grated|
|Carrot||1 , thinly sliced|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 199 Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.3%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g15.8%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 37.6 mg12.5%
Sodium 390.4 mg16.3%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 9 g17.6%
Vitamin A 20.8% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven
2. Rub beef with salt and pepper and place in the crock.
3. Add onion, horseradish, celery tops, carrot, peppercorns and bay leaves. Combine with equal amounts of vinegar and water; pour over beef to cover. Place crock in cold place; marinate beef for 2 to 3 days, turning occasionally.
4. Just before serving, drain the marinade, dry the beef, and set the marinade aside.
5. Melt shortening in skillet; brown beef on all sides. Place in roasting pan. Strain marinade; pour over beef. Bake the dish covered at 350 degrees for about 3 hours or until tender.
6. Remove beef; simmer pan juices until reduced by half.
7. Combine sour cream and egg; add to pan juices gradually. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
8. Slice the meat and serve with pan juices