- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spiced Couscous and Vegetables Recipe
|For spiced couscous and vegetables|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Shallot||1 Large, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Red pepper||1 Small, deseeded and cut into strips|
|Yellow pepper||1 Small, deseeded and cut into strips|
|Aubergine||1 Small, diced|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Saffron strands||1 1⁄4 Pinch (A Large Pinch)|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled, deseeded and diced|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Couscous||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Vegetable stock||8 Fluid Ounce (225 Milliliter)|
|Whole almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1604 Calories from Fat 320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.3%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 935.4 mg39%
Total Carbohydrates 284 g94.6%
Dietary Fiber 48.4 g193.6%
Sugars 41 g
Protein 50 g99.9%
Vitamin A 277.9% Vitamin C 885.5%
Calcium 48.1% Iron 92.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender, adding a little water if necessary.
3. Test a piece of aubergine to ensure it is cooked through. Add all the spices and cook for a further minute, stirring.
4. Increase the heat and add the tomatoes and lemon juice. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes have started to break down. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, put the couscous into a large bowl. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, then pour over the couscous. Stir well and cover with a clean tea towel.
6. Leave to stand for 7-8 minutes until all the stock is absorbed and the couscous is tender.
7. Uncover the couscous and fluff with a fork. Stir in the vegetable and spice mixture along with the raisins, almonds, parsley and coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.