- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spanish Rice Recipe
|Raw rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Butter/margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sausage/Ground beef||1 Pound|
Calories 877 Calories from Fat 515
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g88.7%
Saturated Fat 13.9 g69.3%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 81.6 mg
Sodium 1461.4 mg60.9%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.5%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 23 g46.5%
Vitamin A 12.6% Vitamin C 85.4%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 14.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a medium-size skillet over a high flame and sauté the sausage or beef until browned.
2. Drain off the fat.
3. Tip the beef into a slow-cooker or a crock pot and combine with tomato juice, water, vegetables and seasoning.
4. In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium flame.
5. Add the rice and sauté it in oil till it is golden.
6. Stir the rice into the mixture in the crock pot.
7. Cover the pot with its lid
8. Slow cook the rice on HIGH for about 3 hours or if you are not in a hurry and want to serve the rice for dinner, cook on LOW for about 6 hours, until rice is tender and fluffy and all the moisture has been absorbed.
9. Serve the rice hot straight from the pot or dish out into a casserole or on a platter.